Tuesday 3 May 2016

Fruit Compote and Date Bars


Hi friends! I really have been cooking non-stop lately, and I think I need a bit of a break, with some quick evening meals and less cooking at the weekends. I enjoy it so much and I seem to gravitite into my little end of the kitchen, which is a real haven to me and in which I can basically hide from the noise by cooking. That sounds a little pathetic but I have to admit it to you. The title of this blog is actually based on reality, not irony, and cooking is totally my solace. Lately however, I've been doing a bit of baking with the littlest Tonju, who is so different to big Tonju in that he actually listens to instructions when I'm telling him what to do next in the sequence, whereas big T will just get bored and chuck in whatever he wants if there is nothing specific to do for a few moments. So look out for an upcoming recipe with which little T helped fully, with plenty of cute process photos. For this post though, I need to share this recipe I devised a few weeks ago. 

Earlier in the week I'd made some fruit compote from an apple, three plums and a mango. The plums were really nearing their end of life, as was the mango, so I thought I'd make something of them so as not to waste them, and also with the idea in mind to use some of the compote in a cake-type recipe. I had also bought some coconut flour a while ago, quite a few months actually, and I really wanted to try it out, so I had a think and came up with these yummy Fruit Compote and Date Bars, which are really satisfying for an afternoon snack, but also not too sweet. They have a great balance between fulfilling a sweet craving whilst not actually being tremendously sweet. I'm afraid that if you're not a coconut lover, it is another homage to coconut, as was my last recipe, Raw Cacaonut Truffles, but this is probably more so, so I apologise for that.

If you want to make these, you will need to make some kind of fruit compote or puree to bind them with, for which I've done a quick method on my Facebook page. You can really use any fruit of a soft, juicy texture; pears would be good, and you don't need to mix fruits, apple on its own, or just mango would be fine, although I must say that, for this recipe, the plum does complement the otehr ingredients. You will need 200g compote.

Ingredients


100g coconut flour
50g rolled oats
80g hazelnuts and almonds, combined and chopped in a food processor to a mixture of ground nuts with plenty of large chunks left, as in photo
2 tbsp maple syrup
200g fruit compote/puree
Large handful medjool dates, deseeded and chopped
Large handful of raisins
1 tbsp dessicated coconut
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
Pinch of salt

Method
Pre-heat oven to fan 160C, and put the coconut oil in a bowl to melt while you prepare the other ingredients. Deseed and chop the dates.

Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, including the pinch of salt, and mix well together.



Add the fruit puree, coconut oil and maple syrup. It will be a lumpy mixture but squishy when pressed down with your fingers.




Add the dates and raisins and mix in well, ensuring the dates are separated.


Empty into a greased and lined 20cm square cake tin and press down well, ensuring a flat and even surface and making sure the mixture is pressed into the corners and edges.
 



Bake for 25 minutes until starting to go golden. Remove from oven and cool in tin for 20 minutes before removing, in the paper, to cool on a rack.


Keeping the bake on the baking paper, remove to a large chopping board and, using a long, sharp knife, cut into 12 rectangles.




Enjoy with a cup of tea (as always) for a mid-morning or afternoon snack.





When you've eaten your fill, store the bars in a cake tin or other sealed container. They will keep for three days.


This is a great recipe because it contains so much goodness. Real fruit, energy from the oats and nuts, a bit of natural sugar from the dried fruits and maple syrup, but nothing at all bad. Even the flour is made of coconut! They are satisfying enough to fill that gap you always get before lunch or dinner, and they are certainly healthy enough to put in your child's lunchbox or to give them for snack time when they get home. Just don't forget to put an ingredients list in the lunch for when the dinner ladies do a lunchbox inspection! Only joking; they don't do that, do they..?

I hope you enjoy these as much as we all did. I was really excited to have made use of some fruit which was going to waste, and to actually have made something really tasty out of it. If you ever have old fruit lying around, pureeing it is such a good way of making it into a form which can be stored, as once it's pureed it can be kept in the freezer, or the fridge for a few days, and just defrosted whenever you need it.

Enjoy your next tea-time!

xxx Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking for Sanity